Aka laser assisted gum disease procedure
The LANAP protocol is the first and only FDA cleared laser treatment for gum disease. This breakthrough technology completely eliminates the use of scalpels and sutures. It is a superior alternative to traditional gum surgery. It means no cutting, no sewing, no traumatic pain, and no fear!
The LANAP protocol can re-grow the tissues and bone lost to gum disease. The 1064 wavelength passes through water and hydroxyapatite; but is absorbed in melanin and hemoglobin. Simply put – the wavelength targets the diseased tissue without harming healthy tissue. The laser light penetrates 4mm beyond the tissue surface for effective bacteria kill. Once the site is clean; the laser interacts with the hemoglobin to create a stable fibrin clot.
The success of the LANAP protocol is rooted in laser physics and the unique interaction between the tissue in the mouth and the variable pulsed wavelength of the PerioLase MVP-7 1064 Nd:YAG dental laser.
The LANAP protocol is evidence-based dentistry. According to the ADA, “Evidence-based dentistry, is based on three important domains:
- the best available scientific evidence,
- a dentist's clinical skill and judgment, and
- each individual patient’s needs and preferences.
Only when all three are given due consideration in individual patient care is evidence-based dentistry actually being practiced. The LANAP protocol meets the three domain requirements of evidence-based dentistry.
Compared to traditional osseous surgery, patients say the LANAP protocol is:
- Less painful
- Less bleeding
- Less sensitivity
- Less swelling
- Less post-op sensitivity and infections
- Less gum loss (gum recession)
- Very little downtime after treatment
- Healing is perceived to be faster and more comfortable than conventional surgery
Some of the many benefits of LANAP include:
- Faster Healing
- Virtually Painless
- Back to Normal Activities Immediately
- Very Safe
- Minimal Bleeding
- Normal Gum Line Restored
- Saves Your Teeth
- Promotes regeneration of supporting gum tissues
- Uses a laser light to gently remove harmful bacterial and diseased tissue from the gum pocket. This allows the body to heal naturally so that the health of the gum pocket improves and the teeth become more stable.